We had a storm last night.
These are the pictures of the flooded office. Servpro is coming out with fans to dry out the wall, we will likely have to replace a chunk of the drywall, and we will have to work with the fans for the next 3 days.
The equipment in the study failed, probably due to a lightning strike, despite numerous surge protectors, so the receiver that connects all of our entertainment options is refusing to turn on. The power supply is working, the receiver isn’t. The tech is coming out tomorrow.
My office computer has quit. It worked yesterday, but today it took approximately 2 hours to the point where I could write this blog post. I couldn’t open PDF files. I couldn’t print out the contract. I couldn’t open an image file. I couldn’t access email. I am periodically experiencing a severe slow down, where I can’t even move my cursor.
We are on a deadline. We lost yesterday, likely will lose today, and I’m not sure if working with fans will be feasible. Shout-out to awesome Servpro people for getting here superfast. I told them I would give them a plug, so if you are flooded in San Marcos area, ServPro will come out in 24 hours.
Gordon has spoken firmly with me, so when we are done and the fans are up, we are going to Best Buy to purchase a new desktop. That is the only choice at this point, because Geek Squad will take forever and a half to fix the current desktop and since we bought it 2 years ago, I am not sure it’s still under warranty.
Fuck it all.
It is loud.
In light of our current situation, we will not be able to do the great big Hugh bonanza we were planning. We will be releasing some cool stuff om April 1st, but unfortunately preorder and cover reveal might have to be postponed by a week. This wasn’t how we were hoping for things to go, but this is how it is. We will strive to still deliver an Innkeeper installment.
PS. Anna, your book will be going in the mail today and Brandon, I’m working on the file for Nicole, if the desktop holds.